Hyppää sisältöön

Moving between the Nordic countries

From 1 January 2007, a new inter-Nordic agreement on population registration has been applied to moves within the Nordic countries – Denmark (including the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. If you are moving from one Nordic country to another, you must inform the local registration authority of the destination country of your arrival and present identification (passport, ID card issued by the police or other corresponding document) to the authority. When moving to Finland, this means you need to personally visit the Local Register Office.When your personal identity code or number is known, your details are transferred electronically from the registration authorities of the country of origin to the authorities of the destination country.

If you are moving from Finland to another Nordic country, you must also submit a notification of move to a local register office in Finland. Moving abroad or to Finland from abroad 

The purpose of the new agreement is to ensure that those moving within the Nordic countries are registered in the population register of only one country at a time and to prevent movers from not being included in any Nordic population register. The local registration authorities of the country of destination decide on the prerequisites of registration.

Local registration authorities in the Nordic countries:

Local Register Offices

Registers Iceland

Tax Offices

Swedish Tax Agency

Municipalities of Denmark
Municipalities of Greenland
Municipalities of the Faroe Islands