Digital identity reform
The European Parliament is preparing an eIDAS Regulation that enables the implementation of European Digital Identity Wallets. The Identity Wallet could be used to demonstrate personal and other information safely and reliably throughout the European Union.
The task of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency is to keep Finnish actors aware of the European Digital Identity Wallet and to introduce Finland's view so that it would be a part of the EU preparations.
Participate in the development
Join us in developing the European Digital Identity Wallet. In the open workspace, you can find information for organisations on the preparation of the Identity Wallet and how to participate.
National digital identity reform
In 2020–2023, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency developed digital identity services for national use as part of a project by the Ministry of Finance. The publication and implementation of the services would have required changes to legislation. In autumn 2022, a Government proposal on legislation (in Finnish) enabling the use of a digital identity card was submitted to Parliament. Parliament did not have time to discuss legislative proposals facilitating the reform of digital identity before the end of the session in spring 2023. As a result, the reform was interrupted. The preparations for the European Digital Identity Wallet continue.
Digital identity services developed by the Digital and Population Data Services Agency:
- Suomi.fi Wallet: A digital identity mobile application that uses a digital identity card and a transaction ID for foreigners.
- Digital identity application: A digital identity card alongside a passport and electronic ID card, that is used for electronic and on-site transactions.
- Digital ID for foreigners: A solution for foreigners to prove their identity in e-services.
- Identification device: Means of identification in public services for those who do not use a mobile device.
Send an email to [email protected] and you will receive invitations to events and up-to-date information on the progress of the work.
- 14.6.2023 — Preparation of the European Digital Identity Wallet is progressing: piloting has started in Finland and elsewhere in Europe
- 24.2.2023 — Digital identity reform interrupted, need for digital identity solutions did not disappear
- 10.2.2023 — The development of the European Digital Identity Wallet is ongoing: the first version of the reference architecture has been published
- 28.11.2022 — Testing of digital identity solutions has begun in organisations
- 24.11.2022 — Register for the digital identity user community – try and evaluate new services
- 4.11.2022 — Students envision the future of digital identity in a hackathon
- 1.11.2022 — Ethical hackers are looking for information security gaps in Suomi.fi services - the digital identity application also under testing
- 15.9.2022 — Development of the digital identity card already far along – feedback from test users guiding completion of the mobile application
- 8.9.2022 — Higher education student, register to our hackathon to envision the future of digital identity services
- 4.4.2022 — DVV is seeking a remote digital identity identification solution provider
- 1.4.2022 — New solutions for digital identity improve opportunities to make use of Suomi.fi services
- 10.3.2022 — Market consultation on identification tokens lays the foundation for a digital identity solution – respond to a request for information
- 8.3.2022 — Finland is actively involved in the preparation of the European Digital Identity Wallet – the proposal for technical architecture can now be commented on
- 2.3.2022 — Digital and Population Data Services Agency invites you to join the development of new digital identity solutions