Digital identity reform
The Digital and Population Data Services Agency is working with the Finnish Police to develop a solution for reforming digital identities as part of a project by the Ministry of Finance. This development work will result in a new, secure mobile application (Suomi.fi Wallet) for showing proof of identity when using in-person services and e-services of public and private actors. An alternative identification solution (Code Display) for using the electronic services of public administration will also be created for people who will not be using a mobile device for identification. These solutions will be new Suomi.fi services.
The aim is to develop a digital identity solution for citizens to make everyday life easier. It adapts to the needs of a changing society and is suitable for new digital platforms as they develop. The solution takes different users into account and thus promotes equality.
The digital identity development project is underway from 2020 to 2023.
This video shows how the digital proof of identity can be used in practice. If the embedded video doesn't work, the video can be seen at out video portal.
15.9.2022 a government proposal on legislation enabling the use of digital identity cards was submitted to Parliament. Read the proposal.
Press release 24.2.2023: Digital identity reform interrupted, need for digital identity solutions did not disappear
European Digital Identity Wallet
The Digital and Population Data Services Agency develops digital identity solutions so that they are interoperable with the future European Digital Identity Wallet and serve as a basis for its implementation in Finland.
Read more about the European Digital Identity Wallet
Send an email to [email protected] and you will receive invitations to events and up-to-date information on the progress of the work.
Frequently asked questions
Below are answers to frequently asked questions. You can also find more questions and answers on the Ministry of Finance website (in Finnish).
- 24.2.2023 — Digital identity reform interrupted, need for digital identity solutions did not disappear
- 10.2.2023 — The development of the European Digital Identity Wallet is ongoing: the first version of the reference architecture has been published
- 28.11.2022 — Testing of digital identity solutions has begun in organisations
- 24.11.2022 — Register for the digital identity user community – try and evaluate new services
- 4.11.2022 — Students envision the future of digital identity in a hackathon
- 1.11.2022 — Ethical hackers are looking for information security gaps in Suomi.fi services - the digital identity application also under testing
- 15.9.2022 — Development of the digital identity card already far along – feedback from test users guiding completion of the mobile application
- 8.9.2022 — Higher education student, register to our hackathon to envision the future of digital identity services
- 4.4.2022 — DVV is seeking a remote digital identity identification solution provider
- 1.4.2022 — New solutions for digital identity improve opportunities to make use of Suomi.fi services
- 10.3.2022 — Market consultation on identification tokens lays the foundation for a digital identity solution – respond to a request for information
- 8.3.2022 — Finland is actively involved in the preparation of the European Digital Identity Wallet – the proposal for technical architecture can now be commented on
- 2.3.2022 — Digital and Population Data Services Agency invites you to join the development of new digital identity solutions