Legalisation of foreign documents for the examination of impediments to marriage

The original document is always required for the examination of impediments to marriage. In addition, the document may need to be legalised and translated. The need for them depends on the country that issued the document and the language of the document. 


Which country has issued the document?

Legalisation usually takes place in the country that issued the document.

Frequently asked questions

Contact us


Please use secure email if your message contains personal or otherwise confidential information. Choose [email protected] as the recipient. ​​​​​

Send secure email


Telephone service number is +358 295 536 244

Service hours: Mon–Fri 9–15

Postal address 

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, P.O. Box 1003, FI-00531 Helsinki

Service locations

Service locations