European Digital Identity Wallet
Digital identity reform is accompanied by the European Digital Identity Wallet legislation proposed by the European Commission in the summer of 2021, which would enable the digital use of different validated data, including in cross-border transactions. In practice, the change would be implemented by extending the EU regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the European Single Market (eIDAS), which currently enables cross-border e-services and trust services.
The Digital and Population Data Services Agency develops digital identity solutions so that they are interoperable with the future European Digital Identity Wallet and serve as a basis for its implementation in Finland.
Finland is involved in both the technical definition of the solution and drafting of legislation.
The Ministry of Finance is responsible for preparation of the European Digital Identity Wallet as a whole, and it has appointed a national coordination group for preparation of the European digital identity. The decision to appoint a coordination group and information on its activities can be found on vm.fi (in Finnish).
The Toolbox group responsible for technical specifications includes representatives from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency and the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom. In addition, Finland has a wide range of representatives involved in the use case groups preparing use cases for the Wallet.
The Digital and Population Data Services Agency coordinates national cooperation related to technical specification of the reform (Toolbox), and the aim is to ensure that Finnish actors are aware of the progress of their work at the EU level as well as that Finland's views are communicated and taken into account. Every two weeks, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency holds open webinars related to technical specification of the European Digital Identity Wallet.
Send an email to [email protected] and you will receive invitations to events and up-to-date information on the progress of the work.
- 24.2.2023 — Digital identity reform interrupted, need for digital identity solutions did not disappear
- 10.2.2023 — The development of the European Digital Identity Wallet is ongoing: the first version of the reference architecture has been published
- 28.11.2022 — Testing of digital identity solutions has begun in organisations
- 24.11.2022 — Register for the digital identity user community – try and evaluate new services
- 4.11.2022 — Students envision the future of digital identity in a hackathon
- 1.11.2022 — Ethical hackers are looking for information security gaps in Suomi.fi services - the digital identity application also under testing
- 15.9.2022 — Development of the digital identity card already far along – feedback from test users guiding completion of the mobile application
- 8.9.2022 — Higher education student, register to our hackathon to envision the future of digital identity services
- 4.4.2022 — DVV is seeking a remote digital identity identification solution provider
- 1.4.2022 — New solutions for digital identity improve opportunities to make use of Suomi.fi services
- 10.3.2022 — Market consultation on identification tokens lays the foundation for a digital identity solution – respond to a request for information
- 8.3.2022 — Finland is actively involved in the preparation of the European Digital Identity Wallet – the proposal for technical architecture can now be commented on
- 2.3.2022 — Digital and Population Data Services Agency invites you to join the development of new digital identity solutions