You can use a marriage certificate to prove that a marriage has been registered in Finland. A marriage certificate may be required e.g. when you register your marriage abroad.
The following information is included in the certificate when you order a standard certificate via the self-service. A standard certificate means that the certificate always contains the same information and the selected optional information:
- Date of birth (or personal identity code)
- Marital status
- Details of your current marriage
- Your spouse's name and date of birth.
In addition, you can select your former names and the start and end of your former marriages on the certificate.
If you need other information, order the certificate by email or phone.
How to order certificates
You can order a marriage certificate of yourself. Certificates ordered and delivered through the self-service are cheaper, and you receive certificates quickly. Prices can be found at the bottom of the page.
- You need online banking codes or a mobile certificate for the order. You pay the certificate by making an online payment. Please note that you can only order a certificate from the self-service for yourself or your dependants.
- Ordering a certificate for use in Finland through the self-service is cheaper and is immediately available online. You can download the certificate in PDF format right after paying or the certificate will be sent to you in Suomi.fi Messages. To have the certificate sent to you, you will need to have enabled Suomi.fi Messages. Due to privacy reasons, the certificate will not be sent directly to your email.
- If the certificate is required by a foreign authority, the certificate will be sent to you by mail. Your order will be processed within 2-5 business days, after which the postal service will deliver the certificate.