A young Finnish citizen who also holds the citizenship of a foreign state has a risk of losing Finnish citizenship when turning 22 if he or she does not have a sufficient connection with Finland.
You can prove a sufficient connection by submitting a written notification stating your wish to retain your Finnish citizenship.
You can submit the notification when you have turned 18, but not yet 22. The notification is too late if it is received on your 22nd birthday.
Do the following
- Send a free-form message stating that you would like to retain your Finnish citizenship. You can write the message in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Please note, that you must send the message from your own email address that can be identified as yours. If it is not directly visible from your email address that it is yours, you can write a letter, sign and scan it, and send it from any email address.
- Also provide your full name, date of birth and the address in which you live so that we can update it in the Population Information System if necessary.
- Never send your personal identity code by email.
- Send your message to the following email address: [email protected]. Never send your personal identity code by email.If you do not use email, send the letter containing the above-mentioned information to us or to a Finnish diplomatic mission. [email protected]