Marriage in Finland or in another Nordic country 

When you are getting married in Finland or in another Nordic country, you must first request an examination of impediments to marriage. If you marry in Finland, you must also decide which surname you use after the marriage ceremony. Only after the examination of the impediments to the marriage ceremony can be performed.  

You can book a book an appointment for a civil marriage ceremony from our appointment booking service. The time can be booked up to six months before.  

For more information, please visit: 

  • examination of impediments to marriage 
  • Deciding the surename in marriage
  • wedding

If you wish to convert a registered partnership into marriage, please let us know. You can read more about this on our website.  

Contact us


Please use secure email if your message contains personal or otherwise confidential information. Choose [email protected] as the recipient. ​​​​​

Send secure email


Telephone service number is +358 295 536 244

Service hours: Mon–Fri 9–15

Postal address 

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, P.O. Box 1003, FI-00531 Helsinki

Service locations

Service locations