Marriage concluded abroad 

When you are getting married abroad, check the country where the marriage ceremony takes place, what documents are required for examining the impediments or concluding a marriage in that country. You can ask us to give you for example a birth certificate or a certificate of the right granted by the Finnish legislation to enter a marriage in a foreign country. 

Remember to tell us after the marriage ceremony abroad that you are married. At the same time, you can state the changed surname.  

Finnish citizens are obliged to report their changed personal data so that the Population Information System information is up-to-date.  

Read more:

Contact us


Please use secure email if your message contains personal or otherwise confidential information. Choose [email protected] as the recipient. ​​​​​

Send secure email


Telephone service number is +358 295 536 244

Service hours: Mon–Fri 9–15

Postal address 

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, P.O. Box 1003, FI-00531 Helsinki

Service locations

Service locations