If you are a private person and have been appointed as a guardian based on your consent, you may request to be relieved of the guardian’s task at any time.
If your client still needs guardianship, we will arrange a new guardian for them. We often discharge a guardian from their duties and appoint a new guardian at the same time.
You must continue to deal with your client's affairs until we have made a decision relieving you of your duties and appointing a new guardian.
A) Client and guardian: do this if you can apply together
1. Get a medical certificate for the client. Whenever there is a desire to make changes in someone's guardianship, we consider the need for guardianship in general. We need the certificate for this.
2. Please complete the application for the release/change of guardian (in Finnish) together.
3. Submit the application and medical certificate to us at Digital and Population Data Services Agency / Guardianship Services, P.O. Box 1001, FI-02151 Espoo.
4. We will process your application and examine whether the guardian is still necessary and who we appoint as the new guardian. In addition, we will examine the client's opinion personally (hearing) primarily as a video call if they understand the significance of the matter. We will contact the client so that we can schedule a hearing.
5. We will issue a decision on the matter.
In the decision, we will take into account the application, the medical certificate and the matters the client has brought up in the consultation.
We notify the discharged guardian, the new guardian and the client of the decision.
6. The task of the guardian ends only when the decision to terminate the guardianship becomes final. If the decision has not been appealed, it becomes legally valid 30 days after its date of service. The date of notification shall be:
- 3 days after the date on which the decision was sent, if sent by email.
- 7 days after the date on which the decision was sent, if sent by post.
7. The guardian must still draw up a final statement. The decision we made indicates when the guardian's duties have ended, i.e. what is the last day of the financial year. Read more about preparing a final statement.
B) Guardian: do this if you apply alone
1. Only apply alone if you cannot do it together with your client. Fill in the application to release/change the guardian (in Finnish).
2. Send the application to us at Digital and Population Data Services Agency / Guardianship Services, PO Box 1004, FI-00531 Helsinki, Finland.
3. We will process your application and examine whether a guardian is still necessary and who we appoint as the new guardian. In addition, we will find out your client's opinion in writing if necessary.
4. We can resolve the matter if your client agrees with the application you made during the processing of the matter and understands the significance of the matter. If this does not happen, we will submit an application to the District Court to relieve you of your duties. The District Court decides on the matter.
5. The guardian's task ends only after the District Court, or we have made a decision on the matter. You will then have to draw up a final statement. Read more about preparing a final statement. The new guardian will start to perform the task from the decision of the District Court or from our decision.