Extracts from the Register on the Right to Officiate Weddings
Upon written request, from the register of the right to officiate weddings can be given information on an officiator with a right to officiate weddings.
The register of the right to officiate weddings contains the following information:
- officiators who have been granted a right to officiate weddings on application of their own religious community
- officiators to whom the Ministry of Education or the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has granted a right to officiate weddings abroad
- officiators to whom the local register office has granted a right to officiate weddings to ensure a sufficient number of officiators.
The extract contains information on the name and domicile of the community and the name and personal identity code of the officiator. Other information on the extract are the date the right to officiate weddings was granted or revoked, the period of validity and the authority that granted the right to officiate weddings. In some cases, the extract can contain information on the conditions and restrictions for the right to officiate weddings.
Pursuant to the Marriage Act, the priests of an the Evangelic-Lutheran and Orthodox church have the right to officiate weddings in a church. Furthermore, the directors, registrars, and notaries public of local register offices have the right to carry out a civil marriage ceremony, and so have the chief judges, district judges, assistant judges and some trainee district judges of district courts. The register of the right to officiate weddings contains no information on these officiators.
Do the following
- Find out the officiators name.
- Send a free-form written request by email to [email protected].
- Please use secure email if your message contains personal or otherwise confidential information. Please choose one of these addresses as the recipient: [email protected] (wedding)
- You may also send a free-form application by post to address Digital and Population Data Services Agency, PL 78, 90101 Oulu.
Population of Finland 5 542 002