Dissolution of cohabitation

When cohabitation is dissolved, the partners can jointly draw up a property separation deed, an agreement on compensation, or other document. The division of property between the partners is detailed in the documents. 

The Digital and Population Data Services Agency enters these agreements in the register of cohabitation matters. The registration is not obligatory but only a registered document protects the partner or the partner’s heirs against the claims of recovery submitted by the creditors of the other cohabiting partner in a bankruptcy or enforcement.

Do the following 

1. Draw up a written property separation deed or an agreement on compensation. You can use the services of a lawyer or a public legal aid office in the preparation of the document. Unfortunately, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency cannot help in the preparation of the document. 

2. Print out and complete the application so that the property separation deed or the agreement on compensation can be registered. 

Application form (the form is in Finnish) 

3. Send the application form, the original property separation deed, the agreement on compensation or other document to the address below or bring them to the mailbox of any of our service locations. Do not send any documents by email because we need the original documents. 

4. We will return the original document to you by post. The registration certificate and the invoice for the registration will be sent separately.


In 2023: EUR 70.

In 2024: EUR 82.

We will send the invoice to OmaPosti or to Suomi.fi service. If you are not a user of these two services, we will send the invoice by post. 

Frequently asked questions and answers

Contact us

Postal address

Digital and Population Data Services Agency, P.O. Box 1003, FI-00531 Helsinki

Service locations

Service locations and hours