Moving to Finland
Submit a notification of move using the instructions on this page when you move to Finland from abroad. However, if you move to Finland from another Nordic country, use the instructions on the moving between the Nordic countries page to submit the notification.
A Finnish citizen moving to Finland
If you intend to live in Finland for at least one year, you should report your move as permanent, which will give you a municipality of residence and the benefits it offers to its residents. If your temporary residence becomes permanent, it must also be notified.
1. Notify us about your move.
- You can submit a notification of move in the joint online service of us and Posti. To identify yourself, you need Finnish online banking codes or a mobile certificate.
- You can also submit a notification of move using a paper form, which you can have from Posti or our service location. The form cannot be completed electronically or printed from anywhere. Return the form to Post or our service location. When you also use the form to provide information to Posti, you must prove your identity.
- You cannot submit a notification of move by phone.
2. You will not be sent information about the changed address, but you can check the address displayed in the Population Information System in the Check your own personal data service.
A foreign citizen moving to Finland
If you are a foreign citizen and move to Finland, your information will be recorded in the Finnish Population Information System if the conditions are met. At the same time, you will be assigned a Finnish personal identity code. To get a personal identity code, you must visit a service location in person. If you have already received a personal identity code from the Finnish Immigration Service or the Finnish Tax Administration, we can record your address and family relations, for example. Read more about address registration and the personal identity code on our page on Registration of a foreigner’s personal data.
Foreign citizen, don´t apply for the municipality of residence with a notification of move. You can be assigned a municipality of residence in Finland under certain conditions. We will register your municipality of residence and the permanent address associated with it in the Population Information System. You may need a municipality of residence to use the municipal services, to be granted social benefits, to receive an identity card and to vote, for example. If you intend to live in Finland for more than a year and would like to get a municipality of residence, read instructions on getting it on our page on Municipality of residence.