If a close family member of yours dies abroad, please notify us following the instructions on this page. We will record the information in the Population Information System and send you an extract.
Finnish citizens living in Sweden
The Swedish authorities automatically send information about the death of a Finnish citizen to Finland. If the person has been a citizen of both Finland and Sweden, Sweden considers them to be a Swedish citizen only and will not forward information about the death. A family member must therefore submit the notification for a person with dual citizenship.
Do the following
1. Fill in the form below.
2. Check if the original death certificate must be legalised and/or translated.
Read more about the legalisation of documents.
3. Submit the documents either through a Finnish mission or by sending them by post to Digital and Population Data Services Agency, PL 1003, 00531 HELSINKI, FINLAND. If your municipality of residence was in Åland before moving abroad, send the documents to Statens ämbetsverk på Åland.
Or make an appointment with the Registration of a foreigner´s personal data service at www.dvv.fi/reservation.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept scanned documents. Submit all the necessary documents at once to speed up the process. Read our website thoroughly to ensure you have the necessary documentation.
- notification form for a death abroad which you have filled in
- a legally valid death certificate or an extract from the population register issued by a foreign authority, legalised if necessary, in which the death is stated (you must deliver the original document or a certified copy)
- if necessary, the original or a certified copy of the translation of the certificate, legalised if required.
4. Inquiries and email messages will not speed up the processing of notifications. We will contact you if we need further clarification. You will receive a confirmation from us once the death has been recorded. Check that the information has been entered correctly. If for some reason we do not record the information you have submitted in the Population Information System, you will receive a decision on this. Instructions for submitting a request for administrative review are attached to the decision.
N. B.! Cases are processed in their order of arrival. Unfortunately, we cannot speed up an individual case unless there is a very exceptional and very important reason for doing so. For example, opening a bank account is not a sufficient justification for speeding up the process.