The guardian needs a substitute
A substitute guardian is needed whenever the guardian is disqualified or unable to perform their duties.
Do as follows
1. Fill in the application for the appointment of a substitute guardian (in Finnish).
2. If you propose a private person as your substitute, get their written consent (in Finnish).
3. Send us
- the signed application
- the consent of the client if they are over 15 years old (this is asked in the application form)
- the consent of the private person (if you propose a private person)
- documents related to the matter being planned (for example, an estate inventory deed in a distribution of inheritance)
to the address Digital and Population Data Services Agency / Guardianship Services, PO Box 1004, FI-00531 Helsinki.
4. We will process your application and examine the need for a substitute and the qualification of the proposed person.
5. We will issue a decision on the matter.
The positive decision will be delivered to you, the person appointed as your substitute, and the client if they are able to understand the significance of the decision.
If our permission is needed for the matter in question, the substitute should apply for permit. They can only apply for permit after we have appointed them as the substitute. Read more about actions requiring permission and how to apply for permit.
6. The substitute's duties end when they have completed the task(s) they were appointed for.
We do not need to be notified that the substitute has completed their task. However, we may later ask them for information related to the performance of their duties. They should therefore keep a record of the performance of their duties.