Registration of citizenship 

You can have several citizenships recorded in the Population Information System. We can record your citizenship in the Population Information System based on a valid passport, an original decision on naturalisation or some other reliable evidence. 

If you are a Finnish citizen, you have the obligation to notify the Finnish Population Information System of the foreign citizenship you have received. 

Read more about losing and retaining Finnish citizenship.

If you are applying for Finnish citizenship, contact the Finnish Immigration Service.  

Which documents can I use to prove my citizenship?

Do the following

1. Fill in the form below.       

Correction/addition to register information – international 

2. Submit the documents either through a Finnish mission or by sending them by post to Digital and Population Data Services Agency, PL 1003, 00531 HELSINKI, FINLAND. If your municipality of residence was in Åland before moving abroad, send the documents to Statens ämbetsverk på Åland. 

Or make an appointment with the Registration of a foreigner´s personal data service at

Unfortunately, we cannot accept scanned documents. Submit all the necessary documents at once to speed up the process. Read our website thoroughly to ensure you have the necessary documentation.

See more detailed instructions for delivering documents.  

Required documents: 

  • notification form for correction of registry data which you have filled in    
  • a document proving citizenship (see “Which documents can I use to prove my citizenship?”). 

3. Inquiries and email messages will not speed up the processing of notifications. We will contact you if we need further information. You will receive a confirmation from us once the citizenship information has been recorded. Check that your information has been entered correctly. If for some reason we do not record the information you have submitted in the Population Information System, you will receive a decision on this. Instructions for submitting a request for administrative review are attached to the decision. 

N. B.! Cases are processed in their order of arrival. Unfortunately, we cannot speed up an individual case unless there is a very exceptional and very important reason for doing so. For example, opening a bank account is not a sufficient justification for speeding up the process.


Free of charge

Didn’t find what you were looking for on our website?

Contact us

You can find the average processing times on our website


If your message contains personal or other confidential information, remember to use secure email. Choose the address  [email protected] as the recipient.

Send secure email

Telephone service

Telephone service number is +358 295 536 320

Service hours:

  • Mon 9–15
  • Tue–Fri 9–12