What is a municipality of residence?
Finland is divided into several administrative regions called municipalities. A municipality of residence is usually the municipality where you live.
When you have a municipality of residence,
- you usually have the right to use the services provided by your municipality of residence, such as public health care or children’s day care
- you can get a Finnish identity card and a driving licence
- services provided by authorities or receive financial benefits or subsidies.
When can a citizen other than an EU or Nordic citizen receive a municipality of residence?
You can get a municipality of residence if the following conditions are met:
- You have arrived in Finland.
- You are staying in Finland legally.
- You are planning to live in Finland for at least one year.
You must also have one of the following:
- a family member* who has a municipality of residence in Finland
- a residence card for a family member of an EU citizen** issued by the Finnish Immigration Service
- a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit
- a temporary (B) residence permit that is valid for at least one year in addition to one of the following conditions being met:
- you have an employment contract or a certificate of student status which shows that your employment or studies*** in Finland will continue for at least two years
- you have already lived in Finland for at least one year
- you have previously had a municipality of residence in Finland
- you are of Finnish descent.
*Family members include a spouse, guardian or dependent child. A cohabiting partner is also a family member if you have lived together continuously for at least 2 years before moving to Finland or if you share custody of a child you have had together.
**Please note that a residence card for an EU citizen’s family member is not the same as a residence permit card. Read more about a family member’s residence card on the Finnish Immigration Service’s website.
***The studies must be vocational or higher education studies that lead to a degree.