Digital and Population Data Services Agency selects Telia Finland Oyj to provide strong identification broker services
The Digital and Population Data Services Agency invited tenders for the brokering of strong identification tools to the entire public administration. The tender was conducted as an open procedure between the broker service providers in the trust network. By the deadline, two broker service providers had submitted their tenders. Based on the tender, Telia Finland Oyj was selected as the provider of broker services for Suomi.fi identification.
Based on the tendering process, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency selected a single broker for Suomi.fi identification, which offers all the strong electronic identification tools currently in use. This was also the case in 2020, the last time broker services were put out to tender.
In the competitive tendering, it was possible to price different identification devices separately, and the tools were weighted in accordance with previously realised distributions. The comparison price was calculated on the basis of 180 million identification transactions.
Telia Finland Oyj was selected as the service provider. In practice, this means that, once the agreement comes into force, all authentications for services using Suomi.fi will go through Telia's broker service, regardless of the user's own bank or telecommunications operator.
The new contract will enter into force no later than 1 April 2024, once Suomi.fi identification has introduced Telia's broker service. The contract is for 18 month and includes three one-year options. The new contract will reduce the cost of identification transactions to the state.
What is Suomi.fi e-Identification?
- Suomi.fi e-Identification is a joint identification service for public administration to identify users in digital services.
- Suomi.fi identification checks the personal data from a token against the Population Information System. Once the person has been positively identified, the necessary information is transmitted from the Population Information System to the digital service to which the person is authenticating.
- Suomi.fi identification is maintained by the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, which centrally manages the costs of using the tokens.
- Public administration organisations can join the service and use it free of charge.
- Suomi.fi identification is actively used in around 1,400 digital services.
- It is used to log in to digital services an average of 17 million times per month.
Ulla Kankkunen, Chief Specialist, Digital and Population Data Services Agency, [email protected], tel. +358 295 535 144