Permit to buy or sell a dwelling

When in your role as guardian, you are selling or buying shares in a housing company, right-of-occupancy housing or holiday shares owned by your client alone or in part or as a stakeholder in an estate, you need a permit to do so. Buying or selling garage shares or a parking space does not require a permit if the share does not involve personal liability for the company's debts.

We recommend that you apply for a permit for the sale of a dwelling in advance. However, you need a draft of the deed for your application, so the details of the sale must be settled at the time you submit your application. The Digital and Population Data Services Agency can also retrospectively approve a real estate transaction if it is in the interest of your client. However, the transaction will not obligate your client before a permit has been issued.

Before making any decisions concerning the tasks you are charged with, ask for your client's opinion, if it is important to do so and the hearing can be arranged with significant difficulty. However, a hearing will not be necessary, if your client is unable to understand the meaning or significance of the action.

This is what to do

Fill in the application and submit it and its attachments to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

Permit application

  • The processing of your permit application will be faster if you submit all the necessary attachments at the same time with your application. Where necessary, we will ask you for supplementary data.

  • We will send any request for supplementary data electronically to the Messages service or via email, by post as a letter or by phone.

  • Submit the signed and scanned application and its attachments to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency by email or by post or take it personally to your nearest Digital and Population Data Services Agency service location.

Required documents

In addition to the permit application form the following documents must be appended:

  • Deed of sale or draft of deed of sale
  • A current assessment of value by a licenced real estate agent or other expert or another reliable report or assessment on the value of the dwelling.
  • A building manager certificate
  • When purchasing shares, a report on how funding will be arranged.
  • If a party to the transaction is an estate, an estate deed with a shareholder record, or if no confirmation has been applied for, an estate deed without an account of family relationships. If we need further reports on family relationships, we will request these separately.
  • The deceased person's potential will, including its service of notice or certificate of validity as well as any possible prenuptial agreement, if an estate is a party to the transaction.
  • With regard to right-of-occupancy housing, the right-of-occupancy agreement, the transfer price calculation and the waiver notification
  • If your client is a minor aged 15 or over or an adult whose functional capacity is not limited and they understand the significance of the matter, the client’s written opinion on the transaction.

Check list

  • Consider whether it is in your client's interest to buy / sell the dwelling.
  • Discuss the matter with your client and find out their opinion on the matter if the client is able to understand the significance of the matter.
  • Note that the purchase price must correspond to the fair value of the apartment.
  • Check that you have all the necessary attachments for the permit application. The attachments to the application may be copies.
  • Make sure that you are not disqualified from acting as a guardian in a real estate transaction. If you yourself or your close relative is a party in the transaction, you will need to apply for a substitute guardian.


A permit decision costs EUR 184. 

Processing period

The average processing time is two months. As a rule, cases are processed in their order of arrival. In individual cases, the processing time may be less or more than this depending on the size and complexity of the matter. Processing times are longer when not all necessary reports have been included as attachments to the application.

Frequently asked questions

Guardianship Services contact information


When sending an email, please use the Digital and Population Data Services Agency’s secure email to ensure that your information is sent securely. Select [email protected] as the recipient in the secure mail

Send the email as a secure email

Postal address

Property inventories, annual statements and final statements must be sent to the postal address of the service location.

All other post to the Guardianship Service must be sent to the address:
Digital and Population Data Services Agency / Guardianship, PO Box 1004, FI-00531 Helsinki

Telephone number

The telephone service is open 9.00-12.00 on weekdays

Service number +358 295 536 256

Service locations

Addresses of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency’s service location