Permit to buy or sell a dwelling
When in your role as guardian, you are selling or buying shares in a housing company, right-of-occupancy housing or holiday shares owned by your client alone or in part or as a stakeholder in an estate, you need a permit to do so. Buying or selling garage shares or a parking space does not require a permit if the share does not involve personal liability for the company's debts.
We recommend that you apply for a permit for the sale of a dwelling in advance. However, you need a draft of the deed for your application, so the details of the sale must be settled at the time you submit your application. The Digital and Population Data Services Agency can also retrospectively approve a real estate transaction if it is in the interest of your client. However, the transaction will not obligate your client before a permit has been issued.
Before making any decisions concerning the tasks you are charged with, ask for your client's opinion, if it is important to do so and the hearing can be arranged with significant difficulty. However, a hearing will not be necessary, if your client is unable to understand the meaning or significance of the action.
This is what to do
Fill in the application and submit it and its attachments to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.
The processing of your permit application will be faster if you submit all the necessary attachments at the same time with your application. Where necessary, we will ask you for supplementary data.
We will send any request for supplementary data electronically to the Suomi.fi Messages service or via email, by post as a letter or by phone.
Submit the signed and scanned application and its attachments to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency by email or by post or take it personally to your nearest Digital and Population Data Services Agency service location.
In addition to the permit application form the following documents must be appended:
- Deed of sale or draft of deed of sale
- A current assessment of value by a licenced real estate agent or other expert or another reliable report or assessment on the value of the dwelling.
- A building manager certificate
- When purchasing shares, a report on how funding will be arranged.
- If a party to the transaction is an estate, an estate deed with a shareholder record, or if no confirmation has been applied for, an estate deed without an account of family relationships. If we need further reports on family relationships, we will request these separately.
- The deceased person's potential will, including its service of notice or certificate of validity as well as any possible prenuptial agreement, if an estate is a party to the transaction.
- With regard to right-of-occupancy housing, the right-of-occupancy agreement, the transfer price calculation and the waiver notification
- If your client is a minor aged 15 or over or an adult whose functional capacity is not limited and they understand the significance of the matter, the client’s written opinion on the transaction.
Frequently asked questions
Population of Finland 5 535 422