Permit for the partition or separation of property and the division of inheritance
When your client is a stakeholder in an estate and the property of the estate is to be divided to heirs in the division of inheritance, you, as guardian, must apply for a permit for the division of inheritance. The partial division of inheritance or simply the division of the estate’s funds will require a permit.
When a widow(er) is a stakeholder in an estate, a partition or separation of property must be carried out in connection with the division of inheritance. At this time, you can submit one permit application for the partition or separation of property and the division of inheritance. Also, the partial partition of property will require a permit.
We recommend that you apply for a permit for the partition of or separation of property as well as for the division of inheritance well in advance. However, you will need to attach a draft of the deed on the partition of property or the division of inheritance to your permit application, so the details of the action must be settled at the time you submit the permit application. The Digital and Population Data Services Agency can also approve the partition of property or the division of inheritance retrospectively, if it is in the interest of your client. However, the partition of property and the division of inheritance will not obligate your client before an authority has issued a permit for the action.
Before making any decisions concerning the tasks you are charged with, ask for your client's opinion, if it is important to do so and the hearing can be arranged with significant difficulty. However, a hearing will not be necessary, if your client is unable to understand the meaning or significance of the action.
This is what to do
- If you are applying for the partition or separation of property or for the division of inheritance, you can fill in the application in the e-service while it is in its trial phase. The trial can be used in situations in which you submit the application as the sole guardian to one client. Fill in and submit the application in the electronic service. Sending the electronic form requires strong identification. You will need to have the attached documents to your application in electronic format at the time you start filling out the electronic application form.
- Fill in the application and submit it and its attachments to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency via the e-service, via email, by post or by taking them personally to the application’s service location.
The processing of your permit application will be faster if you submit all the necessary attachments at the same time with your application. Where necessary, we will ask you for supplementary data.
We will send any request for supplementary data electronically to the Suomi.fi Messages service or via email, by post as a letter or by phone.
In addition to the permit application form the following documents must be appended:
- A partition or separation of property and/or a division of inheritance agreement or its draft
- An estate deed with a shareholder record, or if no confirmation has been applied for, an estate deed without an account of family relationships. If we need further reports on family relationships, we will request these separately.
- The deceased person's potential will, including its certificates of notification or validity as well as any possible prenuptial agreement.
- A statement on the status of the estate including receipts, if changes have taken place after the estate inventory.
- A statement on the fair value of the property (an expert's statement/other reliable statement)
- Information on the ownership of the property to be divided
- If your client is a minor aged 15 or over or an adult whose functional capacity is not limited and they understand the significance of the matter, the client’s written opinion will be appended to the application.