Living abroad

If you live abroad, remember to report any changes to your personal data to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. This way your data will be up to date in the Population Information System and using the services of the Finnish authorities will be easier.

It’s important to have the information up to date in the Population Information System. For instance, drawing up the electoral register for an election is based on the information of the Population Information System. If your address is incorrect, authorities may not be able to reach you in matters concerning the notification of eligibility, pension decisions or conscription, for example.

Finnish citizens staying abroad have the legal obligation to report any changes to their personal data during their time abroad, including the birth of a child, marriage, divorce, and changes of name and address.

Contact us


If your message contains personal or other confidential information, remember to use secure email. Choose the address  [email protected] as the recipient.

Send secure email

Telephone service

Telephone service from Monday to Friday 9-12

Telephone number +358 295 536 320

Service locations 

Service locations

See also

Finnish citizens can deliver documents to: Digi- ja väestötietovirasto, PL 26, FI- 68601 Jakobstad, FINLAND or visit a Finnish mission. If you submit the documents to the delegation for further dispatch to the Digital and population data services agency, the delegation will charge a fee for its service in accordance with its price list.

Finnish missions