Guardianship authority's means of supervision
The actions of a guardian and a donee are guided by the instructions provided when their task begins. Both a guardian and a donee must submit a property inventory for the client’s or donor’s property under their management. Supervision is based on the property inventory.
If you notice any shortcomings in the guardian’s or the donee’s actions, inform the Digital and Population Data Services Agency about them in writing.
Means of supervision
Complaint concerning activities of a guardian or an assignee
Anyone who observes shortcomings in a guardian’s or an assignee’s actions may ask the guardianship authority to investigate the guardian’s or the assignee’s actions. Such a request for investigation should be made in writing. The matter can also be processed on the basis of an oral request if the guardianship authority agrees to this.
What may happen if I complain?
The consequences of a complaint depend on what is found out when the matter is investigated. The guardianship authority may state that the matter does not require any measures to be taken or
- give instructions
- instruct the guardian or the assignee to pay attention to good guardianship practice or a certain matter in the future
- give a warning to the guardian or the assignee if they have acted unlawfully or neglected their responsibilities
- take measures to dismiss the guardian (replacing the guardian), to appoint a guardian to the assignor, to appoint a substitute guardian, etc.
Restrictions on the handling of complaints
If the events you are making the complaint about took place over two years ago, the complaint will not be accepted for consideration unless there are special reasons for doing so.
If you want to make a claim for a revised decision and the decision in question included instructions on making a claim for a revised decision, simply follow these instructions. A complaint will not be investigated if it is possible to make a claim for a revised decision from a redress authority about the matter described in the complaint.
This is what to do
Write the complaint as a freely worded letter. Include the following things in the letter:
- Your name
- Your contact details during office hours (telephone number and email address)
- The name and contact details of the guardian or assignee
- The name of the client or assignor
- Tell us about any observed shortcomings. Describe any actions of the guardian, guardianship office or assignee that you believe to be incorrect or inappropriate
- State the time of the event
- If more than two years has passed since the event, explain separately why the matter should now be considered after such a long period of time.
Send the letter to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency by e-mail. Send the email with the Agency’s secure service so that any personal data and other confidential information is sent securely encrypted. Select [email protected] as the recipient of the secure mail.
You can also send the letter by regular mail to: Digital and Population Data Services Agency / Guardianship Services, PO Box 1001, 02151 Espoo
Population of Finland 5 545 128